Friday, August 29, 2008

A Little Absurd


So since John McCain came out of left field with his VP choice, Sarah Palin, the media has been abuzz with speculation. A pregnant teenage daughter. An internal investigation. Some say a sketchy voting record (personally seems pretty clear to me).

Now a lot of people in the McCain camp is firing back saying the media is being sexist.
I must make this point very clear (as to avoid the same accusation): Sexism has got to stop being used as a crutch to ward off criticism. The second Palin came under fire, the sexism charge started flying around. "The media's being sexist." "They just don't want to see a woman in the vice president spot."

I don't deny that there is sexism still in America, especially in the workplace and in politics. And certain quotes against Hilary Clinton were pretty clearly sexist in tone (even though she may have over milked that cow). But this negative press Palin has been getting has nothing to do with her being a woman.

I'm sure there are some very hardline feminists who will instantly get behind the McCain camp if they hear the media is being "sexist". After all, the PUMA group uses sexism as one of its key pieces of evidence why Clinton lost.

But I would hope that the vast majority of Hilary voters will see this for what it is: a very feeble attempt to sway them to the Republican ticket. I say Hilary supporters because that's the entire reasoning behind Palin's spot on the ticket. With so many disaffected Hilary supporters who are already fed up with Democrats, and the race so close, you can't possibly tell me that McCain picking a woman is a coincidence. This was a very clear political move, to capitalize on a PUMA movement and also the attitude of "change". Palin is an outsider for sure, and I can't help but think that McCain is using her to prove he is willing to change the way Washington works.

Back to the subject, I don't agree with Palin's stances. I'm not a sexist, not by a long shot. I just so happen to dissagree with her. She's very conservative, while I consider myself to be moderate, and if anything, more liberal. And I don't dissagree with her because she's a woman. If she were a man, I would still dissagree.

It's really getting to be a bit much, don't you think?

If someone can find me a concrete example of sexism in the Palin coverage, I will gladly eat my words.

UPDATE: Huckabee's talking now and the RNC, and he's skirting the line. If he says "sexist media", I may explode.
UPDATE TO UPDATE: Well he didn't, thankfully. Called her coverage "tacky" and criticized it's negative nature. That's a perfectly fair assessment and I'm glad he didn't go down the sexism path.

No comments: