Friday, January 16, 2009

IST 195- Week 1 Post


Professor Rubin discussed Twitter this week in lecture. I had heard of Twitter before, but I never really thought about how it might be used beyond a social networking tool. And especially not for anything like news or politics. A little research after class showed that both the Obama and to a lesser extent McCain campaigns used Twitter to update their followers.

This opened up my expectations for that networking tool. Perhaps Twitter could be used as a way to advertise my awesome new pillow. I could use the site to spread the word on my product.

Maybe I could even use Twitter to update clients and customers on shipments. Something like a Tweet saying "the first shipment of pillows is out the door!" This would then be passed on to all my followers so that everyone would know when my pillows would be in stores or on their way.

Word about my product could also grow by using Twitter. If someone who was interested in my pillows tweeted about it, then all of their followers would find out about it. Then maybe some of them would tweet, and so on. In this way, a Twitter could serve as a way of marketing using a kind of technological word-of-mouth.

No comments: