Saturday, January 24, 2009

IST 195- Week 2 Post


I never knew about what exactly binary was until this week's lecture. Counting in binary was an interesting little talent to have, but I'm not sure how exactly that would help my product. That seems to be something that would be far more useful to a programmer, which I am clearly not.

On the other had, talking about bits and ASCII will definitely help if I need to send important information to my customers. Professor Rubin said that ASCII was a 7-bit language and that viruses and trojans couldn't be transmitted in ASCII messages. This means that if I had to send messages with sensitive information, I would send that as an ASCII text file to prevent a virus or key-logger from becoming embedded in the file and using that sensitive information against my company or clients.

Knowing about UNICODE will also benefit my product, especially if I decide to expand into different countries. Since ASCII is based on the English language, non-English speakers would not be able to used ASCII to transmit messages and data. However, UNICODE would allow my company and my overseas customers to translate each others messages and websites.

No comments: