Thursday, February 26, 2009

IST 195- Week 6 Post


I never understood Excel. Word, I got. Powerpoint, I had down pat. Even Outlook I had pretty well. But never, once, had I ever been able to understand Excel.

I know what a detriment this would be to any kind of career I would choose. I know I need to learn just how to use this program, especially if I want to be able to excel (no pun intended) in my place of work.

For my pillow company, the uses are easy to see: planning and using figures and numbers to make useful data tables and flowcharts and graphs.

But even beyond this fictional *GASP* company, I need to know how to operate Excel. What this week's lecture and lab taught me is that Excel can be an incredibly useful tool...far more useful than I had originally thought. I always saw my father using Excel to fill up spreadsheets with financial data and cold immovable facts. Now I see that Excel can be much more fluid. Perhaps used to display a budget, or organize facts in a way that makes it easy to read and understand.

Whatever the application of Excel, I know now more than ever that I need to have Excel under my belt...and the sooner the better.

No comments: